6.07.2020

My Name


My daughter asked me what good modern books I'd read recently (she had to specify, because I'm likely to say something from the 15th century or something), and I said one I really loved was "Gods of Jade and Shadow" by Silvia Moreno-Garcia. And I DO recommend it - well written, fast-paced, and with Mesoamerican mythology as well.

And THAT book reminded me that I've been wanting to do more Mayan and Aztec art. So I looked up how to phonetically spell my name in a Mayan dictionary (as one does) and came up with this.


It's technically the phonetic sounds for "sa ma," which sounded close enough for me. Although I 'm hoping I read that right, and I didn't spell out something awful in Mayan.

And speaking of Mayan names, we saw a Mayan exhibit at the Museum of Science in Boston. They had a name generator, and I got a print-out not of my name, but a name I COULD have were I Mayan. I got "Radiant Crocodile," which I may just have to use from now on.

#godsofjadeandshadow

No comments:

Post a Comment